Thursday 26 June 2008

Tips: Reading

Dr S gave us a small pile of reading material. I just finished reading a booklet about exercise, so I thought this would be a good time to talk about reading.

A lot of people with CFS have trouble with reading. There are times when I can't read, but in general, I think I'm doing better with reading than most other people with CFS.

For anyone who doesn't know what it's like to try to read when you have CFS: Imagine you've been studying all day, every day, for about a week. You're at that stage where you're starting to go cross-eyed, and you can't cram any more information in your head. On a bad day, that's sort of what it's like for me when I read the first few words on the page.

So what can you do to improve your reading? Start off with something easy that you know you'll like. I started with a Harry Potter book: it's an easy read, and it's entertaining.

Then I started reading Africa Geographic. It's a wildlife magazine (a topic I'm passionate about), and the articles are a good length. The great thing about magazines is that the articles vary in length; so if you're having a good day you can read one of the longer articles; and if you're having a bad day, you can read one of the shorter articles.

Now I'm reading a book called From Fatigued to Fantastic by Jacob Teitelbaum (who is a doctor). If I don't understand something in the book, I just keep reading. I think it's beneficial to keep my mind moving.

Finally, get comfortable before you start reading. You'll find it much easier to read when the rest of your body is relaxed!

No comments: