Sunday 29 June 2008

No sugar, no dairy, no apples, no oranges, no wheat...

Guess what? I made it to my friend's 21st! I was an hour and a half late, and I only stayed for about two hours, but I think she really appreciated that I made the effort to go.

My friends were so supportive too. They let me sit down, and it was really nice to catch up with them. They made it really worthwhile for me to go.

The only thing was, I couldn't eat much of the food. It was all right, because I'd had dinner first, but that brings me to what I wanted to talk about in this post.

As some of you know, I saw a new doctor last week, and one of the things he told me to do is avoid certain foods. I can't eat anything that contains sugar, milk, yeast, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, apples, oranges, and the list goes on. He said I should avoid additives and preservatives as well.

That makes it difficult to find a variety of food to eat. My dinners are awesome: tonight, I had chicken, sweet potato and greens. But other than replacing the chicken with other meats, and the sweet potato with rice or buckwheat pasta, I can't think of anything else to eat. Sauces and curry pastes make a lot of difference, but most of those contain additives and preservatives, which I'm not allowed to eat.

The hardest thing is finding snack foods. I've been eating rice cakes, but they taste like cardboard. I'm going to have to keep searching for some good sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free cookie recipes that don't contain apples!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can find preservative/additive free mixes through a company called Wildtree. You can google it or, if you like, I can send you a couple samples and you could order through my website if you like it (http://ally.mywildtree.com). It was started by a mom who had two kids with severe dietary restrictions.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks! I just had a look at your website, it looks great. It looks like you don't ship to Australia though. Thanks a lot for the comment through, I'm definately going to keep my eye out for products like that here.