Monday 7 July 2008

The psychology of healing

I had to buy Dr S's handbook, and in it, there's a chapter called "The psychology of healing".

Basically, Dr S suggests that his patients should have a positive attitude towards their recovery; and part of that positive attitude should be a high self-esteem of oneself.

I do believe I'm going to recover, some day. The thing I'm worried about is my self-esteem. After years of listening to my mum tell me how stupid I am, it's difficult to think very highly of myself.

Over the years, I've been called stupid, fat, ugly, and lacking in common sense. And that with my attitude, "it's no surprise [I] don't have many friends".

If it was just a random person telling me these things, it'd be easy to shrug it off. But when it's your own mum, it's a bit rough.

Still, I'd like to think that I'm not any of those things, and that it's just that my mum and I don't see eye-to-eye.

No comments: